3 easy nail DIYs
Photo ©: Jamie Beck for A CUP OF JO
Find out how to create your own Galaxy nails, half moon manicure and Louboutin manicure! You don't need to be a pro to pull these off...
This is a great look to try if you struggle to paint your nails neatly! You will need a dark blue nail polish, and two or three light sparkly or glittery shades.
1. Paint all your nails with the dark blue polish as a base shade.
2. Once the base layer is dry, layer your glitter polishes over it at random - use all of the shades on each nail and make sure you dab and swipe a little differently on each nail.
3. Don't be afraid of over-layering! The idea is to apply enough polish so that your nails appear rounder and more three-dimensional - like the night sky.
Half moon manicure
An edgier alternative to the traditional French manicure, the half moon looks most striking with contrasting light and dark shades. To get the look in the picture, you will need navy polish, a silver or metallic polish, 10 ring reinforcement stickers (remember those from school?) and a clear top coat.
1. Apply 1-2 coats of your silver polish, so that you have a solid silver base coat. Make sure this first layer is as smooth as possible.
2. Once your nails are as dry as possible (wait about 30 minutes), place a ring reinforcement sticker on the base of the nail, with the outside edge of the sticker laid over your half moon. Hint: cut a slit in each sticker - it helps them to lie more evenly. Press each sticker down so it adheres to the nail.
3. Now paint your nails with the navy polish - at least two coats. Wait about ten minutes for it to dry then peel the stickers off to reveal your half moon manicure. Finish with the clear top coat and you're done! You can experiment with different colour combinations, but always ensure you use the lighter shade on your half moon.
This is a simple, high impact nail look, but it can be quite tricky if you don't have a steady hand. If you're careful though, you'll end up with the iconic look made famous by Christian Louboutin shoes. The longer your nails are, the better, as you'll be able to see more of the red underside of the nails. You'll need black nail polish, red, and a clear top coat.
1. Paint underneath your nails with the red polish.
2. Now paint your nails with the black polish - two coats should do it.
3. Finish with the clear top coat.
Don't miss out! Subscribe to our free Beauty Tips Newsletter.