Winter trend: shimmer and sparkle
Photo ©: Luella
Get ahead with the latest winter trend: shimmer and sparkle! Add some shimmer to your wardrobe this winter with a range of embellished, metallic and sequinned items.
Sparkly threads are bang on trend this winter. Check out these tips on how to get the look right and add some shimmer and sparkle to light up winter.
A fun, sparkly outfit that's stylish but keeps you warm is perfect for winter
The trick to getting the look right is to make sure your outfit is well balanced and appropriate for what you're doing and where you are. After all, a jewel-encrusted dress may not be perfect for the office!
Less is more
Head-to-toe sequins, glitter and metallic clothing is too over-the-top. Aim to keep your shimmer and sparkle requirements limited to only two pieces per outfit unless a sparkly piece dominates your outfit, for example a fully sequinned top or glittery dress. If you're wearing your outfit during the day, pair your sparkle with plain and unpatterned items.
Tips and tricks for wearing the shimmer and sparkle winter trend
- If wearing sparkles isn't your thing, opt for sparkly accessories like jewellery or a statement necklace or scarf instead
- Choose pieces with interesting details like a brightly coloured sparkly clutch or shoes. This looks great with a little black dress.
- Avoid shimmer in areas you're trying to minimise. Remember, metallics can highlight lumps and bumps.
- Use shimmer to draw attention to your best features: if you have a good bustline go for a top or dress with an embellished neckline.
- Pair your shiny items with neutral tones like black, white, nudes, brown or navy to show them off.
- You can also incorporate the look into your makeup! Try metallic eyes or glitter-tipped nails.
Items we love!
From left: white shimmer scarf (Forever New) would look great with any outfit and help keep you warm. Wear it with silver jewellery to keep the look coordinated. Show off your waist with this skinny metallic belt (Forever New); it'll look great with a basic black dress. We also love this sequinned dress, R390 (Foschini); glittery heels, R420 (Foschini); quilted silver crossbody bag, R180 (Foschini); jersey with with sequinned heart, R119,99 (Mr Price); black cropped jacket with gold glitter print, R139,99 (Mr Price); baker boy sequinned hat, R79,95 (Woolworths) and colour-block heels, R1099 (Luella).
P.S. Check out the latest fashion images in our WindowShopper gallery (new images added daily)
Don't miss out! Subscribe to our free Fashion & Style Roundup Newsletter.
Latest from "Fashion Articles" ...